Sana'a (IINA) � Nevio Zagaria, representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Yemen, said the death toll from a major cholera outbreak in the war-torn country has risen to 1,500 and appealed for more help to put an end to the epidemic, Reuters reported.
Speaking at a joint news conference with representatives of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) and the World Bank in Sana'a on Saturday, Zagaria said there had been 246,000 suspected cases up to June 30.
Although most of Yemen's health infrastructure has broken down and health workers have not been paid for more than six months, the WHO is paying incentives to doctors, nurses, cleaners and paramedics to staff an emergency cholera network.
With funding help from the World Bank, the WHO is setting up treatment centers with 50-60 beds each, overseen by shifts of about 14 staff working around the clock. The aim is to provide 5,000 beds.
Source: International Islamic News Agency